Tally 6.3 was launched in 2001. Since over a decade, its support has been discontinued.
We suggest that you download and install the current product i.e. Tally ERP 9.
To migrate your Tally 6.3 data to Tally ERP 9, you can follow the steps below or contact us if you require any support for the same.
Step 1: Backup Data
- Start Tally 6.3
- In the Company Info menu select Backup and then the Backup Companies on Disk screen appears
- By default, C:Tally6.3Data appears in the Source as the source folder
- In the Destination provide the required folder where you want to store the data backup.
- Press Enter to start the backup of data. A file named TBK500.001 is created in the destination folder.
- Next, surrender your Tally 6.3
- Go to Gateway of Tally or Company Info menu
- F12: Configure > Licensing > Online > Surrender. The surrender License request is sent to Tally Internet Services Server. On receiving a valid response from the Tally Server, the license is surrendered, and Tally will go to educational mode.
Step 2: Install Tally.ERP 9
You can install Tally.ERP 9 by downloading from here
Tally ERP 9 is compatible with Windows XP SP2 or higher versions of the Windows operating system.
- Double click the installer icon to open Tally ERP 9 installer.
- Select the required Installation folder path, if you do not want to install Tally ERP 9 at the default location.
- If needed, click Advanced to alter the Data Directory, Country Selection, and Startup Language.
- Then, click Install to install the version you have downloaded. Tally automatically installs 32-bit or 64-bit Tally RP 9 application, depending on your system configuration. However, if required you can install 32-bit Tally ERP 9 on a 64-bit Windows operating system.
To install 32-bit Tally.ERP 9 on a 64-bit Windows operating system
- Open Command Prompt.
- Enter the path where setup.exe is present.
- Next, type the command setup.exe /bitness:32.
- Press Enter, to install Tally.ERP 9.
Step 3: Activate Tally ERP 9
1. Start TallyERP 9.
2. Click A: Activate Your License in the startup screen, as shown below:
- If you are a Microsoft Windows standard user, and do not have the required rights, a message appears as shown below:
Click Yes , and enter your computer administrator username and password to restart Tally.ERP 9 with administrator rights.
- If you have Microsoft Windows administrator rights, a message appears as shown below:
Click Yes , for Tally ERP 9 to restart with administrator rights.
3. Enter your Tally.ERP 9 Serial Number ,Activation Key , and Administrator e-mail ID , as shown below:
Note: The e-mail ID provided in the License Activation screen is linked to your Tally.ERP 9 serial number, and will be used for all further licensing operations, and interaction with Tally.
4. Press Enter to activate your license. A confirmation message appears, as shown below:
5. Press Enter to view the Unlock License screen.
6. Enter the Unlock Key sent to your e-mail ID in the Unlock License screen , as shown below:
- Press Enter to unlock your license. A confirmation message appears once you unlock your license.
On activation, the license details are displayed in the Information Panel.
Step 4: Migrate Tally 6.3 data to the latest version
- Download the tool tally72migration.exe and save it in the Tally ERP 9 installation folder.
- Run Tally.ERP 9 Data Migration Tool. Tally.ERP 9 will also open in a separate window. You will see the message Ready for Migration in the Migration Messages panel.
- Select Migrate Data, and specify the data path.
- Select the company from the List of Companies.
- Press Enter. A message Continue Migration? appears.
- Click Yes to continue data migration. The Migration Information screen displays the Types of Masters and Types of Vouchers that need to be migrated from Tally 7.2.
- Click Yes when the message Migrate? appears.
During data migration, the calculator panel displays the number of masters and vouchers migrated to Tally.ERP 9. The screen appears as shown below:
On completing migration, a message appears.
8. Press any key. A message appears as shown below:
Note: Errors that occur during migration from Tally 6.3 to Tally ERP 9, appear in red in the Migration Messages panel. If an error occurs during migration, rewrite the data by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Rfrom the migration tool, and then start migration of data to Tally.ERP 9.
The migrated company data in the Tally.ERP 9 installation folder gets renamed with an additional zero. The company folder appears as shown below: