Tally 8.1 was introduced in 2006. Support for Tally 8.1 has been discontinued since a very long time now. Hence, we recommend that you download and install the current latest product of Tally, Tally ERP 9
To migrate your existing Tally 8.1 data to Tally ERP 9 please follow the below steps or you could also contact us.
Step 1 : Backup Data
• Start Tally 8.1
• In the Company Info menu select Backup
The Backup Companies on Disk screen appears
• In the Source by default C:Tally8.1Data appears as the source folder
• In the Destination provide the required folder where you want to store the backup of data.
• Press Enter to start backup of data
A file title TBK500.001 is stored in the specified folder
Surrender Tally 8.1
Go to Gateway of Tally or Company Info menu
• F12: Configure > Licensing > Online > Surrender
• The surrender License request is sent to Tally Internet Services Server. On receiving a valid
response from the Internet Service Server the license is surrendered, and Tally will be in
Step 2 : Install Tally.ERP 9
You can install Tally.ERP 9 by downloading it from here
Tally.ERP 9 is compatible with Windows XP SP2 or higher versions of the Windows operating system.
To install Tally.ERP 9
1. Double click the installer icon to open Tally.ERP 9 Installer.
2. Select the required Installation folder path, if you do not want to install Tally.ERP 9 at the default location.
3. Click Advanced to alter the Data Directory, Country Selection, and Startup Language.
4. Click Check Latest to check availability of the latest version of Tally.ERP 9. The Install Now option, by default, installs the latest version of the application.
5. Click Install Latest to install the latest version. Alternatively, click Install to install the version you have downloaded.
Tally.ERP 9 automatically installs 32-bit or 64-bit Tally.ERP 9 application, depending on your system configuration. However, if required you can install 32-bit Tally.ERP 9 on a 64-bit Windows operating system.
To install 32-bit Tally.ERP 9 on a 64-bit Windows operating system
1. Open Command Prompt.
2. Enter the path where setup.exe is present.
3. Enter the command setup.exe /bitness:32.
4. Press Enter, to install Tally.ERP 9.
Next, you need to activate your Tally.ERP 9 license
1. Start Tally.ERP 9.
2. Click A: Activate Your License in the Startup screen, as shown below:
- If you are a Microsoft Windows standard user, and do not have the required rights, a message appears as shown below:
Click Yes , and enter your computer administrator username and password to restart Tally.ERP 9 with administrator rights.
- If you have Microsoft Windows administrator rights, a message appears as shown below:
Click Yes , for Tally.ERP 9 to restart with administrator rights.
3. Enter your Tally.ERP 9 Serial Number ,Activation Key , and Administrator e-mail ID , as shown below:
Note: The e-mail ID provided in the License Activation screen is linked to your Tally.ERP 9 serial number, and can be used for all further licensing operations, and interactions with Tally Solutions.
4. Press Enter to activate your license. A confirmation message appears, as shown below:
5. Press Enter to view the Unlock License screen.
6. Enter the Unlock Key sent to your e-mail ID in the Unlock License screen , as shown below:
- Press Enter to unlock your license. A confirmation message appears once you unlock your license.
On activation, the license details are displayed in the Information Panel.
Step 4 : Restore Tally 6.3 Data
- Download the tool Tally72migration.exe and save it in the Tally.ERP 9 installation folder.
- Run Tally.ERP 9 Data Migration Tool. Tally.ERP 9 will also open in a separate window. You will see the message Ready for Migration in the Migration Messages panel.
- Select Migrate Data , and s pecify the data path.
- Select the company from the List of Companies .
- Press Enter .A message Continue Migration? appears.
- Click Yes to continue data migration. The Migration Information screen displays the Types of Mastersand Types of Vouchers that need to be migrated from Tally 7.2.
- Click Yes when the message Migrate? appears.
During data migration, the calculator panel displays the number of masters and vouchers migrated to Tally.ERP 9. The screen appears as shown below:
On completing migration, a message appears.
8. Press any key. A message appears as shown below:
Note: Errors that occur during migration appear in red in the Migration Messages panel. If an error occurs during migration, rewrite the data by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Rfrom the migration tool, and then start migration of data to Tally.ERP 9.
The migrated company data in the Tally.ERP 9 installation folder gets renamed with an additional zero. The company folder appears as shown below:
9. Press Enter to convert your data.