Tally Solutions had launched Tally 7.2 way back in 2005. Tally is no longer supporting Tally 7.2. Support for Tally 7.2 was discontinued more than a decade ago.
While Tally 7.2 was an amazing product during its time, Tally Solutions has replaced it by newer products having even more features. By continuing to use Tally 7.2, you are losing out on a very wide range of features now available. We recommend that you upgrade to the current latest product i.e. Tally ERP 9. Contact us for more information.
Some of the amazing new features that you are missing out..
- Statutory Capabilities including GST and TDS e-Filing
- Advanced Banking Features
- More than 300 MIS reports
- Payroll Management including PF, ESIC, Form 16 etc
- Advanced Inventory Management including Manufacturing and Job Work
- Detailed Security including voucher type wise security
- Export any report/voucher into Excel, PDF, HTML or XML.
You can find further details about Tally ERP 9 here.
Migrate Tally 7.2 to Tally ERP 9 in 5 steps
You can migrate your existing Tally 7.2 data to Tally ERP 9 in a few simple easy to do steps as below. In case you are migrating an old Tally 7.2 data and you are currently using Tally ERP 9, you can directly jump to Step 5
- Start Tally 7.2
- In the Company Info menu select Backup
The Backup Companies on Disk screen then appears
- In the source by default C:\Tally7.2\Data appears as the source folder
- In the destination, provide the required folder where you want to store the data backup.
- Press Enter to start backup of data
- A file with name TBK500.001 is now stored in the specified folder
In Tally 7.2, Go to the Gateway of Tally or Company Info menu
- Next press F12: Configure > Licensing > Online > Surrender
- The surrender License request is sent to the Tally Dot Net Server. On receiving a valid response, the license is surrendered, and your Tally 7.2 will go into educational mode
You can install Tally ERP 9 latest version by downloading it here
Tally ERP 9 is compatible with all versions of windows starting with Windows XP SP2.
After downloading, to install Tally ERP 9
- Double click the installer icon to open Tally ERP 9 Installer.
- Set your desired installation folder path if you do not want to install Tally ERP 9 in the default location.
- Click Advanced to alter the Data Directory, Country Selection, and Startup Language if required.
- Click Install to install the version you have downloaded. Tally ERP 9 automatically installs the 32-bit or 64-bit application based on your system configuration. However, if required you can also install 32-bit Tally ERP 9 on a 64-bit Windows operating system with the following additional steps.
- Open Command Prompt.
- Enter the path where setup.exe is present.
- Enter the command setup.exe /bitness:32.
- Press Enter to install Tally ERP 9.
We have a simple step by step guide on reactivating your existing Tally ERP 9 license here. In case, you have just purchased a new license, you can follow the steps below for the first time activation procedure.
- Start Tally ERP 9.
- Click A: Activate Your License in the Startup screen, as shown below.
- If you are a Microsoft windows standard user, and do not have the required rights, a message appears as shown below. Click Yes, and enter your computer administrator username and password to restart Tally ERP 9 with administrator rights.
- If you have Microsoft Windows administrator rights, a message appears as shown below. Click Yes , for Tally ERP 9 to restart with administrator rights.
- Enter your Tally.ERP 9 Serial Number, Activation Key, and Administrator e-mail ID, as shown below. Note: The e-mail ID provided in the License Activation screen is linked to your Tally ERP 9 serial number, and will be used for all further licensing operations, and interactions with Tally Solutions for support etc.
- Press Enter to activate your license. A confirmation message appears, as shown below.
- Press Enter to view the Unlock License screen. Here you have to enter the Unlock Key sent to your e-mail ID entered in the previous screen.
- Press Enter to unlock your license. A confirmation message appears once you unlock your license.
- On activation, the license details are displayed in the Information Panel.
- Download the tool tally72migration.exe and save it in the Tally ERP 9 installation folder.
- Run the Tally ERP 9 Data Migration Tool. Tally ERP 9 will also open in a separate window. You will see the message Ready for Migration in the Migration Messages panel.
- Select Migrate Data, and specify the data path.
- Select the company from the List of Companies.
- Press Enter. A message Continue Migration? appears.
- Click Yes to continue data migration. The Migration Information screen displays the Types of Masters and Types of Vouchers that need to be migrated from Tally 7.2.
- Click Yes when the message Migrate? appears.
During data migration, the calculator panel displays the number of masters and vouchers migrated to Tally ERP 9. The screen appears as shown below.
- On completing migration, a message appears.
- Press any key. A message appears as shown below.
- Note: Errors that occur during migration appear in red in the Migration Messages panel. If an error occurs during migration, you should rewrite the data by pressing Ctrl+Alt+R from the migration tool, and then start migration of data to Tally.ERP 9. The migrated company data in the Tally.ERP 9 installation folder gets renamed with an additional zero. The company folder appears as shown below.
- On migrating the company data from Tally 7.2 to Tally ERP 9, a warning message appears as shown below.
- Press Enter to convert your data.